Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fairmount, Indiana = James Dean Hometown

James Dean grew up 40 miles south of Fort Wayne. Every time we drive by the exit, I always say "I want to visit the town"
Well today I finally had some time off and drove down to Ball State to get some books and on my way back I traveled into the town.
I first went to the cemetery. His tombstone is small and does not have his birthday on it. Only the years. I found that to be so strange. Some celebrities have huge tombstones. While in town I stopped at the local museum and the owner was telling me he was raised a Quaker, which explains his simple tombstone.
The town is extremely small, with one stop light in town. His church celebrates his birthday every September. They have a James Dean festival every year. It involves a look a like contest and a car show (he loved cars).
The farm he grew up on is by far the biggest farm in the town. It's beautiful.
I'm fascinated by him. In the Museum they have his original leather jacket. Amazing.






No comments:

Post a Comment