Friday, February 18, 2011

Religion.

“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”

When I was in college I started to read the Tao Te Ching. A professor introduced us to the book and for some reason it stuck with me. It was not "preachy" although I am at times a fan of listening to "preachy" speeches. The Tao may say specific things (see below) it applies to other aspects of life. That's why I enjoy it because it gives you freedom but guidance. When times get fussy and my mind gets stuck I read some passages from the Tao and things get cleared up
Here are a few of my favorite passages:

"Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill....Chase after money and security and your heart will never unclench...Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner."

"When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you."

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear."

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE the tao te ching. lao tzu is the man!! one of my faves is

    ''i have three treasures- guard and keep them.
    the first is deep love. the second is frugality. the third is not to dare to be ahead of the world.
    because of deep love, one is courageous.
    because of frugality, one is generous.
    because of not daring to be ahead of the world, one becomes the leader of the world.''

    ReplyDelete